In honor of Father’s Day, I was inspired by – not sponsored by* – MetLife today to write down some of my dad’s life lessons. I’ve learned so much about life and laughter, family and fun, from his that I just couldn’t list it all here. We would be here for days! So, here it is – the Top 10 Life Lessons I learned from my daddy.
10. Take care of your vehicle – My dad is a mechanic and he has taught me what it means to take care of my cars. This also includes renewing your registration, inspection, and keeping good car insurance.
9. Manage your money responsibly – I did actually LEARN this lesson, but I hear that my little sister did. 😉
8. Be Yourself – This is a biggie when I also learned my shyness from Dad. It’s okay just to be silly, goofy, nerdy, introverted, awkward, funny and just plain ‘ole me. I forget this one
7. Be Good to Others – Whatever you do, do it in kindness. I don’t remember this, but he tells me I was spanked for not listening to this ONCE. This makes it one of my favorites.
6. Be Responsible – my little sister gave me this one. I take away from that my work ethic. I’m a hard worker and responsible for my own actions…most of the time.
5. Watermelon, Watermelon, Watermelon Rind, If you look at the scoreboard, you’ll see who is behind – Okay, not a lesson, but totally speaks to my silly daddy and how he taught me that life doesn’t always have to be serious.
4. If you sing what you’re doing, you’ll have more fun – Daddy doesn’t say this, but he practices it, so I’m making it a lesson. Funny thing is, my husband and son do this, too.
3. Be self-sufficient – While my dad wanted me to fall in love and get married to a wonderful man, he didn’t want me to depend on anyone. He taught me to be a “handyman” type of girl. I married a chef and I do the repairs around the house. Go figure!
2. If you stay up late enough at night, and talk about it long enough, you can solve the problems of the world – We did this a lot in my teen years.
1. What is normal anyway? – We aren’t normal. We’re weird and different and perfect. And who really wants to be normal anyway?!
What lessons have you learned from your dad?
*I participated in a Twitter and Facebook campaign on behalf of MetLife with Mom Central Consulting. I was compensated for tweeting and putting up a message on Facebook. This post is not sponsored in any way. It was completely inspired by the movement to share Life Lessons from Dad in honor of Father’s Day.