Family Traditions: Playing Board Games Together
Growing up, I always begged my older sister to play games with me. I would beg and plead and she would never play games with me. She is only five years older than me, but she was just not interested in playing board games or card games. So, I find it ironic that now we are adults and HER family introduced us to the family tradition of playing board games together.
It all started during Hurricane Isaac when we all gathered at my dad's house because we were convinced that it was going to be as horrific as Hurricane Katrina. We all prepared ourselves with food, games, candles, and waited. My dad's electricity went out during the storm (while all of our houses in different towns in Texas did NOT lost power) and we gathered at the kitchen table and played the longest game of Monopoly until 3am – by lantern light…
Since that year, every time we all get together we are ready to play a board game. As we learn about new games, we add them to our collection and try them out! I rarely am the one to introduce a new game, so I was really excited to tell them all that I would be providing the game of the night this year!!
SPONTUNEOUS® (pronounced – spon-TUNE-ee-us)
Have you ever heard a word that "triggered" you to sing a song? If so, then YOU are Spontuneous! One player says a word and the race is on for the others to sing a song containing that word. Don't worry though, talent is NOT required! Spontuneous is America's Hottest New Party Game! If you're looking for a hilarious game to entertain your family and friends, then it's time to throw a Spontuneous Party! It's fun, fast paced, full of laughs and a perfect game to spice up your next get-together!
Everyone was a little nervous at first and my 15 year old niece said, "I'm not doing this!" because she was too shy to sing out loud. I urged them all to give it a try and read the instructions to them. My 4 year old was in the background setting up the game pieces and picking colors and wanting to help so badly. We were all worried that we had to come up with Trigger Words on a Hit List and that we would have to KNOW a song immediately before we wrote it. We played around with it and made fun of each other. We started "practicing" some songs with words and realized this was going to be a lot easier than we thought!!
We decided to give it a "real" try and then we had the best time!! You see, not everyone in the family joins us for the board games. My older sister's husband and Hubby don't play. My dad and stepmom don't play. My son "helps", but he's not quite old enough. But, by the time we really got into the game, they were all sneaking a peek at what we were laughing and singing about so loudly!! There were so many tears from laughing that we were sore from cracking up at each other!!
How to Play
I just can't paraphrase the rules and really explain it well so I've pasted a copy of the rules for you to check out, but don't let all of the definitions and ins and outs frighten you. This game is hilarious and if you love music, love to laugh, love board games, and love to be really loud…then this game is for you!!
It's really this simple: One player (Tunesmith) says a word and the others race against each other and the clock to try and blurt out a 5-word portion of lyrics from any song containing the given Trigger-Word! The player who begins singing first, gets to roll the dice and advance around the board! If nobody can sing a song, the Tunesmith must be able to back it up with a song of their own, or else they roll both dice and move backwards. As players advance around the board, certain spaces will require them to draw a Spontuneous Card and attempt the crazy challenge! Whoever reaches finish first and completes the final challenge, wins the game!
Object: To stump the other players from being able to sing a portion of ANY song containing your Trigger-Word! The 1st player to reach Finish WINS!
- Think of a song you know, choose a word (not a phrase) from those lyrics and write it down on your Hit-List. This word is called a Trigger-Word. Think of another song and repeat.
- Play begins once all players have written down a few (3 to 5) Trigger-Words.
- Once all players have at least 3-5 Trigger-Words, play is started by the first Tunesmith.
- The other players race against each other to SING a 5-word portion of ANY song containing the given Trigger-Word.
- The 1st player to BEGIN singing BEFORE the time expires rolls both dice and advances on the treble clef.
- If time expires and everyone is stumped, the Tunesmith must flip the timer and prove they know a song by singing a 5-word portion of lyrics containing their own Trigger-Word.
- If the Tunesmith CAN prove it, they roll both dice and advance. If they CANNOT prove it, they must roll both dice and move backwards.
- The person to the left of the original Tunesmith becomes the next Tunesmith and attempts to stump the others with a Trigger-Word from their own Hit-List. The Tunesmith position ALWAYS rotates clockwise.
- If a player lands on a Spontuneous Treble Clef, they must draw a Spontuneous® Card and complete the challenge.
- The 1st player to reach finish and complete the Spontuneous® Challenge WINS!
This is a video of us during our "practice" time before the game actually started. We are already cracking up!!
Spontuneous has offered to sponsor a giveaway for one of my readers!! Come back on December 13 for the Hoppin' for the Holidays Giveaway Hop for your chance to win!!
What words would be on your Hit List?!!