I still feel like a newbie blogger even though I've been hacking away at this blog for just over a year now. When I start something new, I jump in full force and you can ask my husband how many nights I've been on this blog when he was trying to tell me a story or show me something. Even my child at 4 years old talks about my blog ALL THE TIME!! So, why I didn't go to BlogHer 2012 in New York City – who knows?!!
A few weeks before BlogHer, I was offered a ticket at Early Bird price and I was so close to buying it. I had one sponsor tell me that she could help with airfare (possibly) but the rest would be up to me to either find sponsors (at the last minute) or pay out of pocket. Although blogging has been helping me tremendously with our budget, we still are not financially stable enough for me to jet across the country to New York for a few days!
So, I sat back and watched my friends party and meet lots of great brands and PR reps and have the time of their lives. And I took notes…
5 Things I Learned by NOT Going to BlogHer 2012 in New York City
1. I should have gone. Period. I said it. I wish I had gone and I'm jealous of those who did. I know jealousy is a deadly sin, but I gave in and this is my confession. Let's just move on. 😛
2. Comfort is key when at BlogHer. I read it everywhere before the conference and I read it during the conference. I even read it after the conference. Wear. Comfortable. Shoes. Apparently, there is a lot of walking, standing, walking, standing…do not stop because you will miss something…
3. Do not share your room AND your conference agenda with your bestest blogging buddy if you have not ever met in person. You know those friends that you make online and you talk every day in your Facebook groups and they become your bestie…that person…don't do it. In fact, it seems to me that roommates might be okay due to the expense and the fact that you are rarely in your room anyway, but the agenda needs to be your own. You do not want to be stuck with the person who wants to sleep in or drags their feet about going to the next event or changes their mind and changes the time of an appointment without telling you. Just plan your schedule for yourself and if you happen to collide schedules with your bestie, great! If you meet in person and that person completely makes you want to scream, you at least have a full day of conference outings that will keep you away.
4. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare – this means schedules, maps, appointments, tickets, organization, spreadsheets, on and on and on… Just be as prepared as possible. Start now (you have less than a year!) and get prepared. Read articles from other conference participants like this one from MamaNYC –> 5 Lessons Learned & Tips from BlogHer.
5. I am going to BlogHer 2013 in Chicago. Period. I'm going. Somehow, someway, if I have to start saving now (I really should start planning – see #4) and I am going!! Maybe I can win this giveaway for a 2013 Conference Pass!! (update, I'm not going…but I am going to BlissDom and SoFabCon!)