After a day like today, I’m really happy that I have started a Newbie Group and one of my Newbies has started this link-up!! This may sound a little like a vent/rant/blowing steam, but the premise of it is real!!
I’m joining Melissa at The Kids Are Grown, Now What? for So You Want to be a Blogger?
I started this blogging thing back in August after much, MUCH thought and I figured it would be a fun little hobby and I could do it part time and I wouldn’t get wrapped up in the competitiveness and money-making and frantic posting and late night blog-a-thons…
and then the oh-so-lovely, yet terribly possessive blogging monster took ahold of me and I LOVE HATE LOVE AM ADDICTED to it!!
Let me just give you my two cents about deciding to start a blog, then you can let me know what you think…
First – start thinking about why you want to blog
- to make money – it can happen but it takes time
- to share your knowledge with others – great!! Let’s start building that content!!
- to socialize with others – okay!! There’s fun stuff out there!!
- to get free “stuff” – hmm…you’re actually working for it so let’s just turn that into *to work for products!!
- just for fun and whatever happens, happens, but you will always be YOU and your blog will be about YOU, reflect YOU, no matter which of these directions you go – PERFECT!!
Second – Read, Read, Read, Study, Read, Comment, Comment, Enter giveaways, If you win giveaways thank the hosts profusely, Read, Comment, Comment, Find Favorite blogs and Comment, Comment, Comment, Read, Read, Study…
- The more you read/follow/comment on blogs, the more you will know about what type of blog you want, including what format (Blogger vs. WordPress), what “look” you are going for (heavily laden with ads or little to no ads on your Home Page), what features you will want on your blog, what comment box you will pick because that is the one that you like to use as a reader!!
- When you start to find blogs that you like, determine what it is that you like about them. Go to their blogroll and see what blogs they like to find others. Look for their pages/posts/series about Blogging or Blog Resources. Almost all bloggers who have been around for a while have a tutorial or two.
- Become “familiar” or “friendly” with the bloggers you are following and be consistent when you find the ones you like.
- LEAVE REAL COMMENTS!!
Finally – start your blog, be yourself, do what you want (think about those things that you liked on the blogs you were reading), and start looking for groups to fit in with.
- Join Blog Hops and follow through with REAL COMMENTS letting them know that you enjoy their content FIRST, then let them know that you found them on such and such hop.
- Do not, please Do NOT find their most heart-felt post about their dear beloved Fluffy who had to be put down today after 18 years and so on…and then post, “I’m a new follower, follow me back!” – It’s just wrong…
- GROW A THICK SKIN REALLY FAST CUZ WE’RE A BUNCH A LADIES (and a few great men) AND WE CAN GET ”TUDE!!
So…where are you in this process? Have you started blogging, want to start blogging? Are a seasoned blogger and remember this exact feeling?!!